Saturday, November 30, 2013

Guinness Commercial - "Made of More"



To me, Guinness commercials have a reputation of being very creative, but don't have a lot to do with the actual product. Although the commercial may be very entertaining, the feelings created in the advertisement are used to connect them to the product brand at the end of the commercial.

The cloud in this commercial is at first an "ordinary cloud" and it shows his journey through the city, becoming experienced and helpful. The personification of the cloud makes it easier for the audience to connect to the cloud. Since the cloud is not only a cloud, he is "made of more" it shows how the cloud has "feelings" and can change because of experiences. When at the end of the advertisement, it says guinness is also "made of more". This suggests that these inanimate objects have life, because they are being personified. 

Personally, i enjoyed this commercial a lot. I like how the cloud is given life and the voice over seemed very calm and relaxed which makes me feel relaxed also. I specifically liked when the cloud was over the stoplight, and was glowing in the colors it changed. I think this visual was very interesting and made me like the commercial more. 

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I totally agree with what you were saying here. I defiantly agree that the personification of the cloud was cute and helped relate the audience to the cloud. And I also agree that it had nothing to do with Guinness. This commercial was a lot like what they talked about int "the Persuaders" when they were saying companies are trying to advertise what the product "means" as opposed to what it is. Like Guinness is trying to advertise the whole "made of more" thing as opposed to advertising beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this commercial! The cloud was adorable and definitely showed enough emotion to make the ad entertaining. I liked it on that level, but overall the ad didn't do much to persuade consumers to buy Guinness products. They attempted to make the connection between the cloud's personality and the personality of those who drink Guinness, but it kind of fell flat. There isn't enough there to actually bridge the two different ideas, even if they have one thing in common. I agree with you, although I liked the ad a lot less after realizing how little it has to do with Guinness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why how this commercial can be well liked, it could've been pretty cute however i don't think the cloud was personified enough, and maybe if it had more qualities then they could've picked one and directly related it to a quality in Guinness. The relation between the guinness and the cloud being stronger would've made the commercial more pursuasive for me.

    ReplyDelete