Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Reptilian Effect

In the film we recently watched in Critical Thinking class, they talk about the "reptilian effect" in advertising. It is the idea that we make every purchase based on subconscious desires, and we settle those desires on the outside by giving logical reasons to buy a product.

I had this experience over the weekend while buying polaroid film with a couple friends. There were many cons to buying the film, such as the cost and not knowing how the pictures would turn out. There weren't any actual logical reasons I could think of after buying the film besides the fact I find polaroid pictures very interesting. I don't know what my reasons for buying the film were, but on the outside I told myself they would look cool in my bedroom. But what was my subconscious reasoning for this? I don't know. This, I thought, was the reptilian effect on myself, and i experienced it firsthand. 



No comments:

Post a Comment